Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Birthday Party Eruptions

Today we went to a birthday party for one of Grayson's classmates at school, Ranger. The birthday party was held at The Zone in McKinney, which Grayson loves because of the big bounce houses there. All was great and Grayson was having a great time up until it was time to eat and have cake. Pizza was served and Grayson took one bite and immediately started to cry. This is what he does when something is too hot....however, Grayson's idea of too hot and our idea of too hot is not the same. Something can be barely lukewarm and he thinks it's too hot. So this cry is not just a little whimper cry, it's an all-out screaming cry and everyone is looking at us like "what is going on with them?" So I finally calm him down, he eats some pizza, and then the cupcakes come out. Grayson devours his cupcake (or should I say, the icing) with the voracity of a starving hyena and then proceeds to tell me that he wants another one. As I try to explain to him that everyone only gets one cupcake, eruption #2 comes. Like seriously, the way he was crying, you would have thought I was beating this kid or something! Keep in mind that this whole time, Conley is strapped to the front of my body in the Baby Bjorn...fun times! So I finally calm Grayson down again and then Ranger starts to open his gifts. Well, Grayson wants to open a present, too! Of course! Why wouldn't he? BUT, as I explain to him that those are Ranger's presents because it's his birthday, the screaming begins again. Really, you ask? YES - really! By this time, I was done. I took Grayson out in the hallway and sat him down on the ground againt the wall. I told him that he could stop crying and go back inside and play, or we could go home. He continued to cry for a few minutes and then said he wanted to go play. So we went back inside and he played for a few more minutes. During this time, Conley was getting increasingly agitated and tired, so now he was starting to freak out on me. This was our queue to leave. I bet you can't guess what happened when I told Grayson it was time for us to go? HA! The worst part is, these crying fits are happening with increasing frequency these days and it's really irritating. Like, is Grayson going to be that kid at school that gets picked on because he's a little cry-baby? Seriously, this kid will start screaming over the tiniest little thing and sometimes this goes on ALLLLLL day long. By the time Jon gets home, I am just done. So after a parental discussion, our new game plan is to not acknowledge or give him attention when he does this, unless he's injured, of course, or something serious has happened. To be continued...

No comments: