Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Dilemma

Lately, Grayson has been pushing and "beating up" on Conley a little more than usual. Most of the time, I don't actually catch him in the act; he always seems to wait until I have my backed turned before he initiates contact. But for the times when I do catch him in action, he gets put in time out as a consequence. For all of the other times, the scenario ususally goes something like this - Conley starts screaming, I run over to see what happened, I question Grayson, and with some prodding he will ususally tell me that he either hit Conley, took a toy away from Conley, or that he pushed Conley. Now here's the dilemma...he knows that he gets put in timeout for doing those things to Conley. But, when I ask him and he tells me the truth about what he did, do I still put him in time out? We want to encourage him to tell us the truth, but soon he will start to figure out that when he tells us what he did to Conley, he gets in trouble. Ahhh, so there's the rub! I feel he should be in timeout still, since he knows that those things are not allowed, but I hate the thought of the timeout discouraging his telling of the truth. What would you do?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Bonita - OK I realize I have no kids, but your dilemma got me thinking ... could you reward Gray with something like a sticker for telling the truth, but also tell him he will need to spend some time in time out for what he did? Just a thought?

Kristen said...

Hey Bonita! I found your blog through facebook. Check mine out when you get a chance. I have had the same issues. Maybe still put him in timeout (do you do number of minutes for how old he is?) and tell him you will take off a minute for honesty (so say his 2 and so you just make him sit for 1). He will get old enough to understand that it is a shorter time I promise! :)